Skip to content
Monday, May 18
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise with us
  • Login
  • Add Post
  • Account
  • Dashboard
International Media News

International Media News

International Media News

International Media News

International Media News

  • Home
  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Editors choice
  • Gallery
    • Image
    • Video-gallery
  • Home
  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Editors choice
  • Gallery
    • Image
    • Video-gallery
Home>>World>>UN Chief Delays ASEAN Talks To Avoid Myanmar Junta Envoy’s Recognition
World

UN Chief Delays ASEAN Talks To Avoid Myanmar Junta Envoy’s Recognition

international media news
October 16, 2021 179 Views0

UN chief Antonio Guterres asked to postpone a virtual meeting with Southeast Asian ministers at the last minute to avoid signaling recognition of Myanmar’s junta by being in the same online room as the military’s envoy, UN diplomats said.

The meeting between the UN secretary-general and foreign ministers from the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) – including the junta’s foreign minister Wunna Maung Lwin – had been due to take place last Friday.

But the day before, Guterres asked ASEAN to postpone the meeting “until a time when it can be held in a mutually agreeable format, in view of the ongoing urgent international and regional issues”, according to an Oct. 8 note from ASEAN chair Brunei – seen by Reuters – notifying members of the delay.

UN diplomats, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Guterres does not want to get ahead of a decision by UN member states on who will sit in Myanmar’s seat at the world body after rival claims were made by the junta and the current U.N. Ambassador Kyaw Moe Tun, appointed by the elected government.

The junta seized power in a February coup, detaining Aung San Suu Kyi and other elected government leaders. United Nations credentials give weight to a government.

Guterres’ reluctance to be seen at the same meeting at the junta envoy comes as ASEAN foreign ministers are due to separately meet on Friday to discuss excluding junta chief Min Aung Hlaing from an upcoming summit as pressure builds on the ruling military to comply with an agreed peace roadmap.

ASEAN agreed on a five-point consensus with Min Aung Hlaing in April, but several members of the bloc have criticised the junta’s failure to implement it. The junta has also ruled out allowing a regional envoy, Brunei’s second foreign affairs minister, Erywan Yusof, to meet Suu Kyi.

 

While UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric told reporters last Friday that the secretary-general had requested that his meeting with ASEAN ministers be postponed and that talks would continue on the format, he did not explain why Guterres wanted the delay.

Kyaw Moe Tun warned against Guterres taking part in a meeting that included an envoy from Myanmar’s military, telling Reuters it could “destroy the Myanmar people’s high hopes and expectations from the UN, which we always think of our hope for the restoration of democracy in Myanmar.”

A U.N. committee, which includes Russia, China and the United States, is due to meet next month to consider the competing credential applications and until a decision is made Kyaw Moe Tun remains in the seat. The committee could defer a decision and leave Kyaw Moe Tun as Myanmar’s envoy.

Myanmar’s junta has put forward military veteran Aung Thurein to be its UN envoy, while Kyaw Moe Tun asked to renew his UN accreditation, despite being the target of a plot to kill or injure him over his opposition to the coup.

The UN committee considers the credentials of all 193-members and submits a report for General Assembly approval before the end of the year. The committee and General Assembly usually operate by consensus on credentials, diplomats said.

Share:

Previous Post

Australian Prime Minister To Attend Glasgow Climate Summit

Next Post

Power Minister visits NHPC Dulhasti Power Station and Dam site of Kishanganga power station

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent News

  • KKR scripts IPL history, becomes second team after RCB to…
  • SEBI relaxes borrowing norms for InvITs above 49% leverage limit
  • Peddi makers drop new glimpse of Divyenndu as Rambujji ahead of trailer release
  • Drone strike at UAE’s Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in UAE
  • President Murmu approves increase in SC judge strength from 33 to 37

Latest News

KKR scripts IPL history, becomes second team after RCB to…

international media news
May 18, 2026

Kolkata Knight Riders scripted history on Saturday by becoming only the second team in IPL history t

SEBI relaxes borrowing norms for InvITs above 49% leverage limit

international media news
May 18, 2026

Peddi makers drop new glimpse of Divyenndu as Rambujji ahead of trailer release

international media news
May 18, 2026

Drone strike at UAE’s Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in UAE

international media news
May 18, 2026

Latest News

KKR scripts IPL history, becomes second team after RCB to…

international media news
May 18, 2026

SEBI relaxes borrowing norms for InvITs above 49% leverage limit

international media news
May 18, 2026

Popular Categories

  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Quick Links

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise with us
  • Login
  • Add Post
  • Account
  • Dashboard
All Rights Reserved © International Media News | Website By - Hurl Technologies Pvt. Ltd. | WordPress Theme Ultra News