Skip to content
Monday, May 18
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise with us
  • Login
  • Add Post
  • Account
  • Dashboard
International Media News

International Media News

International Media News

International Media News

International Media News

  • Home
  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Editors choice
  • Gallery
    • Image
    • Video-gallery
  • Home
  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Editors choice
  • Gallery
    • Image
    • Video-gallery
Home>>World>>Taliban Urges US To Release Frozen Funds In Doha Talks
World

Taliban Urges US To Release Frozen Funds In Doha Talks

international media news
December 2, 2021 152 Views0

The Taliban renewed its call for the United States to release billions of dollars in frozen funds after two days of talks in Doha as aid-dependent Afghanistan grapples with economic crisis.

The Afghans also called for an end to blacklists and sanctions in meetings led by Taliban Foreign Minister Amir Khan Muttaqi and Tom West, the US special representative for Afghanistan.

It was the second round of talks between the two sides in Qatar since the US ended its 20-year occupation of Afghanistan and the hardline Islamists rapidly returned to power.

“The two delegations discussed political, economic, human, health, education and security issues as well as providing necessary banking and cash facilities,” tweeted Afghan foreign ministry spokesman Abdul Qahar Balkhi.

“The Afghan delegation assured the US side of security and urged that Afghanistan’s frozen money should be released unconditionally, blacklists and sanctions must end and human issues be separated from political ones.”

Washington seized nearly $9.5 billion in assets belonging to the Afghan central bank. The International Monetary Fund and the World Bank also suspended activities in Afghanistan, withholding aid as well as $340 million in new reserves issued by the IMF in August.

The Afghan economy has effectively collapsed, with civil servants unpaid for months and the treasury unable to pay for imports. The United Nations has warned that around 22 million people, more than half the population, will face an “acute” food shortage in the winter months.

Taliban government leader Mullah Mohammad Hassan Akhund is among those targeted by the US sanctions. The US side stood firm on the measures and said it was taking steps to get support to ordinary Afghans.

 

“The United States remains committed to ensuring that US sanctions do not limit the ability of Afghan civilians to receive humanitarian support from the US government and international community while denying assets to sanctioned entities and individuals,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said in a statement.

“The Department of the Treasury has issued general licences to support the continued flow of humanitarian assistance to the people of Afghanistan and other activities that support basic human needs.”

The US also urged the Taliban to provide access to education for women and girls across the country and “expressed deep concern regarding allegations of human rights abuses”.

It reminded the Taliban of its commitment not to allow terrorist organisations to operate on its soil and to guarantee safe passage for US citizens from Afghanistan.

The Americans also called for the release of US citizen Mark Frerichs, who was kidnapped in Afghanistan in February last year.

The Taliban called the talks “positive” and said Muttaqi also met with the Japanese and German ambassadors to Afghanistan in Doha.

Share:

Previous Post

Time To “Think Mandatory Vaccination”: EU Chief

Next Post

Boris Johnson On “Best” Single Defence Against Covid Variant Omicron

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent News

  • KKR scripts IPL history, becomes second team after RCB to…
  • SEBI relaxes borrowing norms for InvITs above 49% leverage limit
  • Peddi makers drop new glimpse of Divyenndu as Rambujji ahead of trailer release
  • Drone strike at UAE’s Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in UAE
  • President Murmu approves increase in SC judge strength from 33 to 37

Latest News

KKR scripts IPL history, becomes second team after RCB to…

international media news
May 18, 2026

Kolkata Knight Riders scripted history on Saturday by becoming only the second team in IPL history t

SEBI relaxes borrowing norms for InvITs above 49% leverage limit

international media news
May 18, 2026

Peddi makers drop new glimpse of Divyenndu as Rambujji ahead of trailer release

international media news
May 18, 2026

Drone strike at UAE’s Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in UAE

international media news
May 18, 2026

Latest News

KKR scripts IPL history, becomes second team after RCB to…

international media news
May 18, 2026

SEBI relaxes borrowing norms for InvITs above 49% leverage limit

international media news
May 18, 2026

Popular Categories

  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Quick Links

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise with us
  • Login
  • Add Post
  • Account
  • Dashboard
All Rights Reserved © International Media News | Website By - Hurl Technologies Pvt. Ltd. | WordPress Theme Ultra News