Skip to content
Wednesday, May 20
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise with us
  • Login
  • Add Post
  • Account
  • Dashboard
International Media News

International Media News

International Media News

International Media News

International Media News

  • Home
  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Editors choice
  • Gallery
    • Image
    • Video-gallery
  • Home
  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Editors choice
  • Gallery
    • Image
    • Video-gallery
Home>>World>>South Korea: Investigators Seek Arrest Warrant For Yoon In First For Sitting Prez
World

South Korea: Investigators Seek Arrest Warrant For Yoon In First For Sitting Prez

international media news
December 31, 2024 62 Views0

 South Korea’s joint investigation team said on Monday that it has sought an arrest warrant for President Yoon Suk Yeol over his short-lived imposition of martial law, making him the first sitting President to face arrest. 

 

The team said it sought the warrant on insurrection and abuse of power charges after Yoon ignored three summonses to appear for questioning. 

 
 

The request was filed with the Seoul Western District Court at midnight on Sunday, according to the team comprised of the Corruption Investigation Office for High-ranking Officials (CIO), the police and the Defence ministry’s investigation unit. 

Investigators say Yoon led an insurrection and abused his power when he declared martial law on December 3 and allegedly ordered troops to the National Assembly to stop lawmakers from voting down the decree. 

Yoon has denied the charges, saying his declaration of martial law was an ‘act of governance’ to warn the opposition party against what he described as its abuse of legislative power. 

 

In response, Yun Gap-geun, one of Yoon’s legal representatives, said they will submit a document of opinions to the court over the arrest warrant request and a notice of the appointment of lawyers later in the day, Yonhap news agency reported. 

Yun earlier vowed to take ‘formal steps’ in response to the CIO’s move. 

“It’s a request by an agency that does not have the authority to investigate (insurrection charges),” he told Yonhap News Agency, referring to the CIO. 

Earlier on December 26, South Korea’s anti-corruption investigation body summoned President Yoon Suk Yeol to appear for questioning over his brief imposition of martial law. The CIO for high-ranking officials issued the summons, ordering Yoon to appear at its office in Gwacheon, just south of Seoul. 

This marked the CIO’s third summons after Yoon ignored two previous summonses, including one for questioning on Christmas Day. 

The CIO had teamed up with the police and the Defence ministry’s investigation unit to look into allegations that Yoon had incited an insurrection and abused his power when he declared martial law on December 3. 

Meanwhile, South Korean President Yoon’s political future hung in the balance as the Constitutional Court deliberated on his impeachment trial over his short-lived martial law declaration, raising concerns about a leadership vacuum amid economic and security challenges. 

Yoon faced an uphill legal battle after being impeached and subjected to widening probes into his failed attempt to impose military rule on the nation’s democracy on December 3. The impeached President defended his imposition of martial law as an act of governance and denied charges of insurrection. 

Share:

Previous Post

Anantnag Police Seize Properties Worth Rs 1 Crore In Major Narcotics Crackdown

Next Post

India’s Smartphone Market Hits Record value In Q3 2024 As 5G Models Dominate Shipments

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent News

  • Trump makes big statement, says attack on Iran put on hold upon request from…, issues fresh warning to Tehran
  • ‘He has been an absolute legend of the game…’: Mark Boucher’s emotional tribute to MS Dhoni after CSK vs SRH IPL 2026 clash
  • Supreme Court allows Euthanasia of rabid and aggressive stray dogs
  • ‘Bastar is now Naxal-free’: HM Amit Shah on Naxalism in Chhattisgarh
  • Amul celebrates Saif Ali Khan’s ‘Kartavya’ with ‘Buttervya’ topical!

Latest News

Trump makes big statement, says attack on Iran put on hold upon request from…, issues fresh warning to Tehran

international media news
May 20, 2026

US President Donald Trump has said he is putting a planned military strike on Iran on hold after dir

‘He has been an absolute legend of the game…’: Mark Boucher’s emotional tribute to MS Dhoni after CSK vs SRH IPL 2026 clash

international media news
May 20, 2026

Supreme Court allows Euthanasia of rabid and aggressive stray dogs

international media news
May 20, 2026

‘Bastar is now Naxal-free’: HM Amit Shah on Naxalism in Chhattisgarh

international media news
May 20, 2026

Latest News

Trump makes big statement, says attack on Iran put on hold upon request from…, issues fresh warning to Tehran

international media news
May 20, 2026

‘He has been an absolute legend of the game…’: Mark Boucher’s emotional tribute to MS Dhoni after CSK vs SRH IPL 2026 clash

international media news
May 20, 2026

Popular Categories

  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Quick Links

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise with us
  • Login
  • Add Post
  • Account
  • Dashboard
All Rights Reserved © International Media News | Website By - Hurl Technologies Pvt. Ltd. | WordPress Theme Ultra News