Skip to content
Monday, May 25
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise with us
  • Login
  • Add Post
  • Account
  • Dashboard
International Media News

International Media News

International Media News

International Media News

International Media News

  • Home
  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Editors choice
  • Gallery
    • Image
    • Video-gallery
  • Home
  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Editors choice
  • Gallery
    • Image
    • Video-gallery
Home>>World>>Colombian President Calls Female Journalists ‘Dolls of the Mafia’, Sparks Huge Row
World

Colombian President Calls Female Journalists ‘Dolls of the Mafia’, Sparks Huge Row

international media news
September 14, 2024 135 Views0

Press freedom groups attack President Gustavo Petro of Colombia for calling female reporters “dolls of the mafia”. This is amidst Colombia’s reputation as one of the most dangerous countries in South America to be a journalist.

Petro made this remark on 30 August during the inauguration of Iris Marin, Colombia’s new human rights ombud, and first woman to take up that position, without the slightest hint of irony.

Petro has consistently reacted sharply to media criticism since becoming Colombia’s first leftist president, accusing journalists of conspiring with armed groups, business leaders, or other powerful figures. Some view the most recent incident as evidence that he has crossed a line-most notably in a country where dozens of women reporters are threatened and attacked each year.

Petro Labelled Female Journalists As ‘Dolls Of The Mafia’

In his speech, Petro attacked the “female journalists of power” and labeled them “dolls of the mafia.” He said those journalists had strongly criticized the 2019-2021 protests against the right-wing government in power before him.

At the time, he was a legislator and joined those demonstrations. It is not known why he targeted female reporters.

Criticism was swift, and Petro tried to walk back his comment, explaining he meant “female journalists of the establishment. hired by dark powers,” but the explanation failed to soothe outrage.

Later, Marín added there is no place for stigmatizing female journalists in Colombia, and he said, “Nothing justifies it.”

Press Freedom Groups Slam Colombian Presidents For His Remarks

RSF described Colombia as “one of the most dangerous countries in the continent for journalists” as two journalists were already murdered this year.

The FLIP Press Freedom Foundation noted that comments by President Petro were used to justify online content that was either violent or reinforced gender stereotypes.

The foundation said it reported 171 cases of threats and attacks against women reporters since last year but has yet to divulge details.

A petition filed on Tuesday with the Council of State – Colombia’s highest court for administrative affairs – requested an order forcing Petro to apologize for what it called the “dolls of the mafia” comment.

Share:

Previous Post

Manipur Violence: Non-Military Drones And Rockets Used In Attacks, Internet Services Partially Restored

Next Post

‘Baseless, Irrational, Absurd Allegations’: Adani Group Denies Involvement in Swiss Court Proceedings

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent News

  • Top terror chiefs attend funeral of Pulwama attack mastermind, Hamza Burhan, in Islamabad
  • Michael Jackson’s 2005 trial revisited in Netflix docuseries ‘Michael Jackson: The Verdict’
  • US depleted half of Pentagon’s missile interceptors defending Israel: Report
  • Abhishek Sharma scripts IPL history vs RCB, becomes second player in the world to…
  • RBI’s dividend to Govt expected to surpass earlier record of Rs 2.7 lakh crore

Latest News

Top terror chiefs attend funeral of Pulwama attack mastermind, Hamza Burhan, in Islamabad

international media news
May 24, 2026

The funeral of Hamza Burhan, one of the alleged masterminds behind the 2019 Pulwama attack, drew a g

Michael Jackson’s 2005 trial revisited in Netflix docuseries ‘Michael Jackson: The Verdict’

international media news
May 24, 2026

US depleted half of Pentagon’s missile interceptors defending Israel: Report

international media news
May 24, 2026

Abhishek Sharma scripts IPL history vs RCB, becomes second player in the world to…

international media news
May 24, 2026

Latest News

Top terror chiefs attend funeral of Pulwama attack mastermind, Hamza Burhan, in Islamabad

international media news
May 24, 2026

Michael Jackson’s 2005 trial revisited in Netflix docuseries ‘Michael Jackson: The Verdict’

international media news
May 24, 2026

Popular Categories

  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Quick Links

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise with us
  • Login
  • Add Post
  • Account
  • Dashboard
All Rights Reserved © International Media News | Website By - Hurl Technologies Pvt. Ltd. | WordPress Theme Ultra News