Former Chhattisgarh CM Bhupesh Baghel has been named in the Mahadev Betting scam after the Enforcement Directorate mentioned him as an alleged beneficiary in its report, which is also cited in the CBI FIR.
The central investigative agency re-registered the FIR as the Chhattisgarh police’s Economic Offences Wing (EOW) has already registered a case. At least 19 people have been named as accused in the FIR, and his name is mentioned as accused number 6.
Bhupesh Baghel refuses allegations
Baghel already dubbed the allegations against him as politically motivated and rejected the charges.
Last week, Baghel hit out at the government for not taking action against the case in connection with the Mahadev betting app case. “Modi and Shah are giving patronage to the Mahadev betting app. The government of India has also made clear that if anyone takes action against the app they will face action. With this, they have made it clear that they don’t want to take action against the betting app,” the former CM said.
CBI conducted raids at Baghel’s residence
On March 26, a large number of supporters gathered outside the residence of former Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel as the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) conducted searches in connection with the Mahadev betting app case. The CBI team arrived at his residence and carried out searches for 14 hours.
Bhagel said that the CBI had visited his residence for the second time in 15 days, conducting raids not just in Durg but across multiple locations in India. He emphasised that despite taking strict action against the Mahadev Betting App, key accused Saurabh Chandrakar had not been arrested, despite a lookout circular being issued.
What is the Mahadev Betting App Case?
The case pertains to the illegal operations of Mahadev Book, an online betting platform promoted by Ravi Uppal and Saurabh Chandrakar, both of whom are currently based in Dubai.
Sourabh Chandrakar, one of the promoters of the Mahadev online betting app,was arrested in Dubai in November 2024 following an Interpol Red Corner notice issued on the request of the Enforcement Directorate (ED).
According to the CBI, the investigations revealed that the promoters allegedly paid substantial amounts as “protection money” to public servants to ensure the smooth and uninterrupted functioning of their illegal betting network.