The Pentagon has fired the editor-in-chief, publisher and a reporter of Stars and Stripes, a newspaper that has covered the US military for more than 160 years, according to reports. The move comes days after the publication reported on difficult conditions faced by crew members aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, which had been deployed in West Asia during the Iran war. The report triggered criticism of the Trump administration’s handling of the conflict, although US officials later rejected the claims about the conditions on the aircraft carrier.
Why were the Stars and Stripes journalists fired?
Stars and Stripes editor-in-chief Erik Slavin said he was fired for “insubordination” after giving an interview in which he spoke about disagreements with the Department of Defense and concerns over interference in the newspaper’s editorial work.
The publication is partially funded by the Department of Defense but has historically maintained editorial independence.
Max Lederer, who had served as the newspaper’s publisher since 2007, was also informed that he was being terminated. His firing came just three days after he had announced his retirement, according to CBS.
Reporter Lara Korte also said she had been dismissed. In a post on X, she said she was fired for insubordination after telling a CBS reporter that she worked for Stars and Stripes, not for the Pentagon, any administration or policymakers.
Earlier this year, the Defense Department had reportedly said it wanted to steer the newspaper’s coverage away from what it described as “woke distractions.”
What was happening aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln?
The USS Abraham Lincoln had been deployed since before the West Asia war began on February 28. The aircraft carrier left its homeport in San Diego in November and arrived in West Asia in January.
Reports later emerged about mental health concerns and shortages of food and hygiene products among crew members during the deployment. Last week, the US military announced that another carrier strike group had arrived in the region and President Donald Trump said the Lincoln would be replaced.
However, Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth said the ship’s condition had been “completely misrepresented.” Trump also downplayed the reports, saying the nearly nine months spent at sea was a “good period of time” and that US sailors had faced longer deployments in the past.



